Inaugural FCALP Alumni Club Event Welcome Remarks by Ms Sun Xueling, CEO, Business China
8. I would also like to take this opportunity to update all our friends here, about new developments at Business China. To better serve our business community in Singapore, we have reoriented our efforts and now have three key pillars.
9. First to continue to strengthen Singapore-China mutual understanding through platforms such as the FutureChina Global Forum and also through supporting the work of our Singapore-China Bilateral Councils.
10. Second, to provide relevant information of developments in China and how they provide opportunities for Singapore through monthly dialogues anchored by luminary speakers. We have had three such dialogues already and, in early November, will have Foreign Minister Dr Vivian Balakrishnan share with participants what lies ahead for Singapore following the 19th Party Congress.
11. Thirdly, we will continue to support capability development to ensure young Singaporeans have the means to become China-ready. We are thus partnering Institutes of Higher Learning and corporates to develop internship opportunities in China for young Singaporeans and also rolling out suitable courses in Singapore for PMETS.
12. To support the work of these three pillars, Business China has recruited new staff with relevant competencies. They are Alice Chan and Wilfred Chua, previously with International Enterprise Singapore. Song Zhanyong from the content division of Singapore Press Holdings and Liang Yi from National University of Singapore.
13. Together, we hope that we can work with you to continue to ensure that Singapore and Singaporeans have a role to play in an environment where a rising China impacts geo-political and economic factors in the region.
14. And lastly, I would like to thank the ALP ExCo led by Joseph Koh for spearheading tonight’s event and the many contributions of members such as Fiona, Ruby, Michael, Anne, Boon Pin and Soon Heng.
15. Thank you all and please stay in touch!